car racing simulation

Please don't post Bullet support questions here, use the above forums instead.
beegee

car racing simulation

Post by beegee »

I'm currently in the research phase of my racing game and have some questions about your physics. Is it possible to handle a perfect simulated car? And if not, what changements have to be done to do so? I'm planning about a action/fun racing game, but the physics won't be a such easy like NFS more in direction to TrackMania. And I've looked into your physics system, the demo code and some videos. That's great! One more question: Could you give a short example or code about how to install/set up a car with physics?

Thanks.
Olivier_uk

Re: car racing simulation

Post by Olivier_uk »

car simulators is a hot topic, are really hard. Even to the level of trackmania. Trackmania is even harder since it's so extreme, they have to cheat (downforce, grip) to make the car controllable and the game enjoyable. Another good example would be Rollcage for achievable physics at very high speeds. Even so, it's not for the faint hearted.

The most problematic component imo is an accurate yet forgiving tyre model, which impacts hugely on the handling.

Secondly, the method of integration. Euler is not good enough for something as complex as a car physics simulator.

Thirdly, the engine and drive train, and link to the wheels and grip feedback.

Aerodynamics, suspensions, collision detection and using the gut of a physics engine are quite trivial tasks in comparaison.

Even harder is motorbike simulation, and making a fun bike racing game.
Olivier_uk

Re: car racing simulation

Post by Olivier_uk »

but yeah, that doesn't really help you with the problem. sorry! :mrgreen: