Bullet through paper dynamics help needed.

Please don't post Bullet support questions here, use the above forums instead.
Tobs

Bullet through paper dynamics help needed.

Post by Tobs »

Hi

I've been writing my own physics engine and have run into a problem I was hoping to find some help with. I've checked Bullet and other physics engines and from what I can see they should have the same problem.

The problem is one of fast moving objects passing through collision.

I'm using swept collision tests and I'm pretty sure there is no problem with the collision. So the problem seems to be with my update.

Much like Bullet and other engines my update is something like:

- test collision
- resolve constraints
- move bodies

What I'm seeing is that sometimes the constraint solver leads to large velocities on bodies which are then moved past the collision.

For example if a small light object is stationary but near a collision wall and is struck by a fast heavy object then the light object will bounce off and end up being moved past the wall.

The problem is due to there being only one set of collision tests per update. I can definitely fix the problem by doing more collision tests between solving constraints and moving bodies but this is obviously going to be much slower.

So I was wondering what everyone else is doing that avoids these problems? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!