OpenMASK, Non Smooth Dynamics and Real-Time

MathieuRenouf

OpenMASK, Non Smooth Dynamics and Real-Time

Post by MathieuRenouf »

With co-author we have adapted some mechanical tools to real-time simulations need in Computer Graphics.
I have develop a mechanical library, that I finalise for free diffusion.
Results can be view on my web site: http://www.irisa.fr/siames/Mathieu.Renouf/ in the section movies.
Some paper are available on the section publications.
Erin Catto

Post by Erin Catto »

Link problems ...

Post by Guest »

fixed link.

And here is a direct link to OpenMASK. Pretty interesting stuff, especially the parallelism

http://www.irisa.fr/siames/OpenMASK/
OpenMASK an Open Source Middleware for Virtual Reality

by Bruno Arnaldi, St?phane Donikian

OpenMASK is a platform for the development and execution of modular applications in the fields of animation, simulation and virtual reality.

Modelling an interactive application including several dynamic entities that evolve in complex virtual environments requires the communication of different models such as environment models, mechanical models, motion control models, behavioural models, interaction models, sensor models, geometric models and scenarios.

The main features provided by OpenMASK concern its capabilities:

to interact with a virtual environment using various devices (sensors, data gloves, haptic devices, ?) in a local or distant 3D cooperation (collaborative work);
to integrate different computation modules (mechanical simulators, human motion, behavioural models, ?) using high level abstractions;
to automatically distribute computation on a network of workstations;
to show results on an immersive environment (Reality Center, Workbench, ?) or on a standard display by using a visualization module based on Performer (Sgi) or OpenSG (Fraunhofer Institute).
One of the main objectives of OpenMASK (Modular Animation and Simulation Kit, and Multi-threaded Animation and Simulation Kernel) is to provide a common run-time and conception framework for the creation of virtual reality applications. In OpenMASK, the unit of modularity is the simulated object which can implement any preceding models and could be the result of a code generation provided by a dedicated tool as illustrated in the following figure.
Erin Catto

Post by Erin Catto »

So are "haptics", "simulation", and "virtual reality" academic code names for video games?

I guess it's hard to get funding to do video game research. :)