Sound generation

Please don't post Bullet support questions here, use the above forums instead.
dog

Sound generation

Post by dog »

It's that time again on my current project, where I think about how we integrate sounds with the collision interactions. I've never been particularly happy with how scraping and rolling have been handled before. I'm interested in how others have done it. (I do have a persistent contact patch between objects, so that should make things easier.)

Thanks.
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: Sound generation

Post by Erwin Coumans »

dog wrote:It's that time again on my current project, where I think about how we integrate sounds with the collision interactions. I've never been particularly happy with how scraping and rolling have been handled before. I'm interested in how others have done it. (I do have a persistent contact patch between objects, so that should make things easier.)

Thanks.
Which approach do you want to take?

A) Triggering and choosing an appropriate existing sound sample, based on contact info (sliding, colliding contact etc) ?

B) Generate the sound samples/waves procedurally, based on physics information (for example using finite element methods)?

Thanks,
Erwin
dog

Post by dog »

(A) Triggering appropriate sounds, seems more practical to me. It is what I've done before, at least.

Really I'm interested in what parameters I should be tracking, and how I should track them to determine the sounds that should be triggered, and how I should modify them.