Bullet Physics Contest: Most Incredible Device wins PS3/Wii

Show what you made with Bullet Physics SDK: Games, Demos, Integrations with a graphics engine, modeler or any other application
moobins

Post by moobins »

My project is not done. I go to mountains with my friends on 24 and I'm back 3.03 so I wont be able to finish my project as I wanted - I have only 2 days...

So I need more time , and it would be great if the deadline will be extended.

Please respond to tomorrow if you plan on extending the deadline, if not, I will send what I have completed for now...

Thanks
endif

Post by endif »

I go to mountains with my friends on 24 and I'm back 3.03
you are an actor on 24? wow!!!

ok, im just kidding i know its a date :P
endif

Post by endif »

ok, just to let you know, i have only a few small objects to texture, a few small tweaks to make, some testing on a different computer, make a video for youtube, and register

i expect to be done by the Monday before the deadline :twisted:
rush2049

Post by rush2049 »

I am running into problems and would appreciate the deadline to be pushed back... I did not allocate enough time to bake ipo curves, animate different objects that aren't baked correctly, and render....

as of now it is over 48 hours to bake to ipo curves....
darkelfv

Post by darkelfv »

I think I will be done with the blend.

I currently have 4 scenes that interlink. the first one took forever to bake and i ended up with a 200 meg blend file. I have 2 scenes to finish, I might add a 5th. I hope to finish the blend today. Baking and rendering the 3-4 scenes will probably take the rest of the time. Im a little worried I won't be able to bake it in time. However I think i should be able to finish it.

A little hint. the speed modifier for the sequence editor allows you to skip frames. Speed up rendering and final look of physics.

I will know by tomarrow if i will beable to finish or not.

Edit - Blend is done, im bakeing the 3 rd scene, it probably has another hour to go. Then the 4th scene, i think its more complex but has less items. we will see.

I still have to render the whole thing and add camera ipos to the final scene 2 -4 this shouldn't take to long , but its going to be close.

I had some major problems because of a bug (I consider this a bug)
I set up my physics and it worked fine. However I needed to move camera or add a object for display only. This caused my physics to act differnt and i had to re tune the whole thing over again. The object in question had nothing to do with the physics and should not effect it. I would love to see this fixed as it caused about 3-4 hours of extra work. Any time i move a object (physics or not) I have to re run the whole thing and make sure it didn't botch it. Then fine tune and fix it as it usaly screwed it up. I ended up not putting in as many props as i would of liked. Sorry the fish tank is going to have to be empty.
darkelfv

HuGE TIP

Post by darkelfv »

I just found out about quick baking.

ctrl + shift + alt + p

this renders frames = to your render settings (default 250)

it renders the ipos with out visulizations saving lots of time.

The only problem is you have to estimate how many frames are in your animation.

I have four scenes and my average is 4 minute running time (real time) and 4000 frames each. With all frames enabled on.

Normaly this takes about 6-8 hours to fully bake a scene. im getting 60 frames a minute here with the quick bake. Saving me tons of time. Just check your blender console window.

So instead of 6 hours i estimate just over a hour and half.

Yay. FOund thIs on the wiki

I hope this helps.

Edit - Bah it changed the way the physics ran. Now my scene is botched. Because the quick bake changes how things react, its a hit or miss weather it works in the end. RElated to the BUg i spoke of. Also it looks like it bakes all layers in your scene. Looks like more debugging and also I probably have to bake it 3-4 times just to get it working right.

At this point im seriously thinking about taking cam studio and just recording my live feed, tweaking the cameras how i want and then alter the frame speed so it looks better. Trying to bake Even after i had it working is proving troublesome.
Last edited by darkelfv on Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
waynefox3

Post by waynefox3 »

Oh yea i cant wait to see (if erwin puts them up on the wiki) everyone elses entry after the contest
i hope everyone had fun workin on this i know i did twas a month well spent

again Good Luck everyone
endif

DONE!!

Post by endif »

I have finally submitted my entry

Erwin, could you please verify that you receive my entry? my connection can be a tad buggy, thats why i want verification :P

Thanks for holding this contest! It was fun making my entry and i learned a lot.
baboule

Post by baboule »

It's very hard to make the things to work :?

I won't make it in time I'm afraid...
waynefox3

Re: DONE!!

Post by waynefox3 »

endif wrote:I have finally submitted my entry

Erwin, could you please verify that you receive my entry? my connection can be a tad buggy, thats why i want verification :P

Thanks for holding this contest! It was fun making my entry and i learned a lot.
i to woud like a verifivation if possable ide hate to have my work
be missed cause the entry was missed or something
endif

Post by endif »

that was exactly my thoughts!
waynefox3

Post by waynefox3 »

because theres been no word on the contest CLOSE date being extended yet the contest SHOULD be over today am i right?
Febuart 28th 2007 the day befor march 1st right?
darkelfv

Post by darkelfv »

Hi guys, I have a ideal, sence we are all having problems baking. If you can't bake in time. Why don't you finish the blend file.

Make a video using CAMSTUDIO (free) of your realtime, if you need to edit edit in virtual dub (free)

Then submit that to youtube and you can have your entry done today. Send in the blend file with out any baking (save files space, and the link for the you tube.

I have one scene to bake. Quick bake did not work for me at all. ruins my scenes. But i might have to do camstudio anyways because last time i baked it my compture crashed haha. Good luck everyone
endif

Post by endif »

also, when will we get to know who won? im looking forward to some great downloads to learn from!
rush2049

Post by rush2049 »

Well to repost what I posted on blender artists forum:

I have my animation rendering. This is no ordinary rendering process, my setup as follows.
My whole animation is 19200 frames long, I split it up using 16 different camera's and frame batches. I have it rendering on a number of computers at this time... i hope it finishes soon..
I will email erwin with my blend file tonight, and will email with a link to the final animation when it is done.
The computers I am using to render are:
Eight Dell Optiples GX620 (thats eight computers with dual processors)
One Macintosh Core Two Duo (2ghz)
One Dual Xenon Server Computer (used to be my school districts mail server)

That is what I am rendering on... then when its finished (I will check tommorow morning) I will edit it all together into one animation and stick the final file on my schools website... (perhaps a low resolution file for everyone and a hi-res link for erwin)

Hope I make it on time....