Collision manifold and animated terrain (deformable object)

Please don't post Bullet support questions here, use the above forums instead.
John McCutchan

Collision manifold and animated terrain (deformable object)

Post by John McCutchan »

hey, I've been experimenting with animating terrain (Just a simple sin curve currently). The collision manifold code falls over badly in this scenario. The manifold kicks points out only when the transformation changes and not when the collision shape is changing shape. Anyways, the obvious solution is to just clear the manifold when the collision shape changes, but that's not very efficient or stable when using the sampling based GJK manifold collector. Has anyone tackled this before?
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: Collision manifold and animated terrain (deformable obje

Post by Erwin Coumans »

If possible, try to apply the deformation function to the local contact points. This should give better results than throwing all points away. I tried this when scaling rigid bodies, and got good results.
jmc wrote:hey, I've been experimenting with animating terrain (Just a simple sin curve currently). The collision manifold code falls over badly in this scenario. The manifold kicks points out only when the transformation changes and not when the collision shape is changing shape. Anyways, the obvious solution is to just clear the manifold when the collision shape changes, but that's not very efficient or stable when using the sampling based GJK manifold collector. Has anyone tackled this before?