Rendering Issues when importing urdf linked to .obj

amendez

Rendering Issues when importing urdf linked to .obj

Post by amendez »

Hello everyone, I'll overview the issue and then list the specific code and details:

In my simulation, when I load the urdf of the robot, some of the objects are semi-transparent and they are all only visible from select directions:
Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 8.28.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 8.28.53 PM.png (404.14 KiB) Viewed 3780 times
Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 8.31.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 8.31.42 PM.png (546.48 KiB) Viewed 3780 times
In the above pictures, the top base plate is invisible when upside down. Also most parts of the robot are not loading correctly. Here is what the it should look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phTnbmXM06g. I am noticing now that the rendering in the linked video with Isaac gym is not the best either but the feet look much more solid and not transparent.

This issue occurs across all of my devices/os: m1 mac, linux, and windows.

I've also tried loading an example with the r2d2 model and that loads correctly but not the model in the pictures. I've seen others (Sentdex) load this model in Isaac Sim/Gym just fine but for some reason this model doesn't appear to load correctly in my model. It is very possible that it is a user error but I cannot figure out what the issue is.

Here is the urdf and mesh (obj) files:
Archive.zip
(9.79 MiB) Downloaded 190 times

Here is my script:

Code: Select all

import pybullet as p
import pybullet_data
import time

physicsClient = p.connect(p.GUI)#or p.DIRECT for non-graphical version

# for m1 mac: disable side window for m1 because it is slow to render.
p.configureDebugVisualizer(p.COV_ENABLE_GUI,0)
p.configureDebugVisualizer(p.COV_ENABLE_SHADOWS, 0)

p.resetDebugVisualizerCamera(2, 75, -30, [0,0,0])

p.setGravity(0,0,-9.8)

# load the ground
p.setAdditionalSearchPath(pybullet_data.getDataPath()) # plane.urdf is in pybullet_data
p.loadURDF("plane.urdf")

# load the robot
# TODO figure out why some of the pieces of the simulation are not running correctly.
start_pos = [0, 0, 1]
bittle_id = p.loadURDF("assets/urdf/bittle.urdf", start_pos)

# run the simulation
while True: 
    p.stepSimulation()
    time.sleep(1/500)
Please let me know what other information I should include and will include it as soon as possible. Thanks in advance for the help!

P.S. After writing this post, I've realized that the issue might be consistent across all simulation environments because looking at certain scenes in the video linked above, it appears that there is misrendering of the robot as well but just not as bad as how it is in my simulation. I'd like to hear what you all think so please let me know whether it is a user error or simulation limit being reached. Thanks!
drleviathan

Re: Rendering Issues when importing urdf linked to .obj

Post by drleviathan »

You might want to try asking in the python-specific forum. This is the support thread for underlying C++ library.