collision issue with mesh

Brian Beuken

collision issue with mesh

Post by Brian Beuken »

Another odd little issue, I can frig a solution by clamping to the height of the model off the floor, and testing to allow gravity to occur, but wonder if there's an inbuilt solution i am missing.

My environment is a btTriangleMesh and I have a btCylinderShape moving around using linearvelocity, though allowing y velocity to be dictated by the step system, so I can have gravity do its thing, and also allow friciton to stop when I don't provide velocity.

It works well enough but I am noticing a small dip and bounce as my model moves over from one collision Mesh Polygon to another, very rarely also being stuck. I assume gravity is allowing it to drop between the gap, then restoring it back up, creating the bounce.

Whats the best way to stop this?
teolazza

Re: collision issue with mesh

Post by teolazza »

Hi,

look here
http://www.bulletphysics.org/Bullet/php ... 2&start=30
In short: fix the normals and call setContactProcessingThreshold(0) on the object (I don't know if both the ground and the moving object).
Brian Beuken

Post by Brian Beuken »

Interesting topic, thanks, I will see if I can impliment the fix. Though there is some suggestion in thread that it was going to be fixed in later versions of bullet? Since its an old thead was this not done?
teolazza

Post by teolazza »

Sorry, I don't know: maybe the btInternalEdgeUtility could solve the problem, but not in my case.
http://www.bulletphysics.org/Bullet/php ... f=9&t=4603

I can just warn you that

Code: Select all

cp.m_lateralFrictionInitialized = true
has changed in

Code: Select all

cp.m_contactPointFlags |= BT_CONTACT_FLAG_LATERAL_FRICTION_INITIALIZED;
Brian Beuken

Post by Brian Beuken »

Before I could get to this, I decided to try making my player a capsule rather than a cylinder, as suggested in the thread, and the result is spectacular. No separation events and no dips and jumps, the character is moving along and crossing boundaries between polygons perfectly.
I will try to implement the normal correction idea at some point, when I must have cylinders and boxes, but for now this does all I need so will work with a capsule type object from now on.
teolazza

Post by teolazza »

mmmm my problem is still there. I must move boxes, and a capsule will be an approximation too loose. I must keep boxes.
Brian Beuken

Post by Brian Beuken »

did you try to fix the normals, as suggested?
teolazza

Post by teolazza »

yes