Managing overall world scale

TonyS

Managing overall world scale

Post by TonyS »

I am aware of the wiki page "Scaling The World". (http://www.bulletphysics.org/mediawiki- ... _The_World)

As the year is now 2017, I wanted to be sure if there is any kind of variable that can be set to change the overall scale, so we don't have to manually follow the rules on that wiki page.

If we have to do it manually,
Should we keep a

Code: Select all

float fMyScale = 2.0f; 
variable and multiply everything (according to the wiki) with that variable?
For example, in my case I am using it 1 unit = 2 meters.

How do you manage scaling in your projects? Isn't it hard to keep everything perfectly in sync? (assuming that you are also in a position where you need to scale the world because of the recommended unit range of the engine).
avithohol

Re: Managing overall world scale

Post by avithohol »

TonyS wrote:I am aware of the wiki page "Scaling The World". (http://www.bulletphysics.org/mediawiki- ... _The_World)

As the year is now 2017, I wanted to be sure if there is any kind of variable that can be set to change the overall scale, so we don't have to manually follow the rules on that wiki page.

If we have to do it manually,
Should we keep a

Code: Select all

float fMyScale = 2.0f; 
variable and multiply everything (according to the wiki) with that variable?
For example, in my case I am using it 1 unit = 2 meters.

How do you manage scaling in your projects? Isn't it hard to keep everything perfectly in sync? (assuming that you are also in a position where you need to scale the world because of the recommended unit range of the engine).

I kept a world scale constant around in my engine too, but ended up removing it, as it took too much time to manage/debug it, once the project gets more complex. Thing that i always had to remember to consider.
Otherwise the wiki page pretty much covered my needs until i removed that functionality from my project.