Can Bullet handle fluids?

MiloLu

Can Bullet handle fluids?

Post by MiloLu »

PhysX FleX is cool. But I prefer Bullet. However, I couldn't find any similar features there.

Any suggestions?
benelot

Re: Can Bullet handle fluids?

Post by benelot »

Bullet does not have any fluid features yet except if you can handle it with softbodies (but that would be a very coarse approximation). I once had the feeling that Erwin Coumans was intending to integrate a fluids library into Bullet, look here:
https://github.com/erwincoumans/fluids_v3

But I have no idea what happened to it then. Maybe you can find out more and then post back?
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

I will want to integrate some fluid simulation (starting with that fluids_v3 makes sense) and also FEM into Bullet. Right now I'm a bit busy with a few robotics learning related projects, but will look into it soon.
MiloLu

Post by MiloLu »

Tnx for the answers. I am looking forward to it! Maybe I am wrong, but I have the feeling that for programs involving FEM or Monte Carlo, it gonna take ages to run them :) (unless you have only a few elements to simulate)

p.s. I always have some wonders that I want to address. Bullet use plenty of raw pointers and handle the resources using new/delete. It might be be better to implement c++11/14 features, such as smart pointers, auto etc.?
benelot

Post by benelot »

Regarding C++11/14: The library is meant to be backwards compatible to older C++ standards, that is why it completely avoids the use of C++11/14 features.