Softbody with metallic material properties

srGaiarsa

Softbody with metallic material properties

Post by srGaiarsa »

Hello Everyone,

I've been messing around with Bullet for sometime now and managed to alter a few characteristics of the Tetra Cube used in the Example Browser. So far, I managed to divide it in clusters, and add properties pertaining to that cluster, but the body itself is a bit "spongy" despite setting all the coefficients that (I think) make the body more rigid to the maximum value. The is written as follows: http://pastebin.com/YXFfafsR

I'm working on a project that needs accurate simulation of different types of metal impacting each other, such as an steel hammer hitting an aluminum plate.
Any help is appreciated.

Best regards,

Mr. Gaiarsa
Xcoder79

Re: Softbody with metallic material properties

Post by Xcoder79 »

Hi,

The clusters in your code are set to generateClusers(64) this creats 64 individual collison clusters, setting the clusters to a lower value like 2 will create a very stiff body. Now if you want to achieve metal malubilty, thats when your object needs to have plasticity. Using a Tetrahedral softbody with collision clusters will always make the cube return to its original shape.

Hope this helps☺

Thx
srGaiarsa

Post by srGaiarsa »

Xcoder79 wrote:Hi,

The clusters in your code are set to generateClusers(64) this creats 64 individual collison clusters, setting the clusters to a lower value like 2 will create a very stiff body. Now if you want to achieve metal malubilty, thats when your object needs to have plasticity. Using a Tetrahedral softbody with collision clusters will always make the cube return to its original shape.

Hope this helps☺

Thx
Hi Xcoder,

That indeed helped a lot! What would you suggest for simulating plasticity? Just a regular softbody?

Thanks for the help!!
Xcoder79

Post by Xcoder79 »

Hi,

Yes, just a regular softbody works fine, with gravity tuned down a little you can have a look at my previous post from awhile ago about Softbody plasticity it shows how to set up the softbody.

Hope this helps ☺