Howto stop bouncing

Rutger Janssen

Howto stop bouncing

Post by Rutger Janssen »

A quick newbie question, how can I prevent my capsule from bouncing (after falling from a great height)?
Here's the code I use for the capsule:

Code: Select all

btCollisionShape* shape=new btCylinderShape(btVector3(1,2.5f,1));
	trans.setIdentity();
	trans.setOrigin(btVector3(-14,35,37.3f));
	player_body = new btRigidBody(80,0,shape);
	player_body->setAngularFactor(0.0f);
	player_body->setWorldTransform(trans);
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

Hi,

There are several options, here is one that might work for you:

Basically you can override the contact added callback, and set the penetration depth to zero in the contact point. But also move the capsule manually so it doesn't penetrate. Make sure only to set the callback flag for the capsule:

Code: Select all

capsuleRigidBody->setCollisionFlags(staticBody->getCollisionFlags()  | btCollisionObject::CF_CUSTOM_MATERIAL_CALLBACK);
Use the contact normal * penetration depth to move out the capsule manually.
For details on overriding the contact added callback, search for ContactAddedCallback in ConcavePhysicsDemo.cpp (ignore parts about friction)

Hope this helps,
Erwin

By the way, someone recently implemented this, so perhaps you get a more detailed answer from him later.
ola

Post by ola »

I implemented a character capsule recently, but I still have some bouncing. I set the restitution factor of the capsule to zero, and was happy enough with the result of that. For normal walking around and character jumps there is no bounce.

The little bounce that is left when falling of tall things doesn't worry me much as I plan to enable a ragdoll-model of the character instead if it is hit with impulses exceeding a certain limit.

Best regards,
Ola