Amazing Curves Racing: physics on cubic patches

John Schultz

Amazing Curves Racing: physics on cubic patches

Post by John Schultz »

Download demo here (up to 24 online players, 64 total cars (non-players are AI)):
http://www.brightland.com/ac/
See the online manual for physics info (also included in the demo install).

More screenshots:
http://www.brightland.com/ac/Screenshots/

Default keyboard controls are a/z throttle/brake, left/right arrow steer, SPACE reset to track. Will change to default up/down arrow for throttle/brake in future release (and an auto-track-reset option on by default). Pressing F1 in game allows the controls to be remapped per player preferences (best played using a dual analog joypad).

Feedback here or on the AC Forum is appreciated.
John Schultz

Post by John Schultz »

Screenshot from one of the next test tracks (will be included in the next release):

These new track/systems will not allow the player to leave the driving area, nor will flying be allowed. However, the system will be generalized to allow for both types of tracks and
gameplay (wide-open, with flying, or restricted to track-zone only. Restricted track-zone levels/tracks will allow for much more localized graphics detail over the wide open tracks/levels.
Restricted tracks will also be better for learning: players can't leave the track-zone).

The ACX (shown) now has a 600HP engine; suspension+tires+CFD-aerodynamics also updated (handling)
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

John Schultz wrote:These new track/systems will not allow the player to leave the driving area, nor will flying be allowed.
Sounds good. My first experience with Amazing Curves racing game was more flying then driving, so perhaps this changes things.
If it drives as good as it looks, it's great!

Erwin
alan

Post by alan »

I like it. Would be cool if this could be similar to Stunt Driver.

I also was flying more than driving. It's pretty cool to be able to steer my car in the air with some rudders :)

Cheers
Alan
John Schultz

Post by John Schultz »

Erwin Coumans wrote: Sounds good. My first experience with Amazing Curves racing game was more flying then driving, so perhaps this changes things.
If it drives as good as it looks, it's great!

Erwin
From feedback it appears the initial test tracks are tricky for start with (easy to fly off track and get airborne unless intentionally driving on walls). Thus, the next set of tracks will be easier (no wall driving required). I think that with more experimentation, new gameplay elements from driving+flying could be fun (and not too hard).
alan wrote:I like it. Would be cool if this could be similar to Stunt Driver.

I also was flying more than driving. It's pretty cool to be able to steer my car in the air with some rudders :)

Cheers
Alan
Thanks for the feedback!

Many game system features for Amazing Curves racing have not yet been shown. Given that the system is built around networked competition gameplay, stunt type of driving can be integrated into competitive race tracks.

Once most people are happy with basic car control, handling, track systems, online interaction and gameplay, I'll start releasing more advanced, physics-based game elements for beta testing.
John Schultz

Post by John Schultz »

Amazing Curves Racing Beta 1.02: http://www.brightland.com/ac/

Erwin- I left the controls as arrows to steer and A/Z for accelerate/brake. I found it very hard to drive using just one hand. The new cars/tracks require much turning, accelerating and braking (as with a real race car); it's not possible to run the tracks at WOT anymore. However, I made the control info quite large in the help/readme.

Lots of changes for this release. Please let me know:

1. If you have any issues with installation or running the game.
2. If you have any issues with controlling the cars.
3. Please post your graphics card type, CPU speed, OS version, screen resolution, game graphics settings, and frame rate at the start of the game (and highest/lowest observed while playing). That's a lot of info: please post any that you have time for...
4. Please post what types of input devices you have tried: such as keyboard, XBox 360 controller, analog joypad, or driving wheel and let me know which you liked best and if you had any issues.
5. Try out the hardware 3D audio (HW3D driver setting) if you have a sound card with 3D audio acceleration. Please post how the game ran (frame rate) and how it sounded (2 speakers, headphones, etc.). You should be able to hear cars moving around your position in 3D.
6. If you have a 5.1-7.1 audio system: please post the type of gear and how the game sounded. You should hear cars moving all around you (with or without HW3D acceleration).
7. Give online play a try: there should be no visible lag at 300ms or less ping. You should be able to bump into / interact with other cars as if the other cars were not networked. If no servers are up, PM or email me and I'll set up a server session.
8. Sim racers / hardcore gamers: what do you think of the driving model? Physics interaction?

Edit: A public server is up: check out online play (networked physics). Should be very high quality...