Looking for physics engine comparsion

Enrico

Looking for physics engine comparsion

Post by Enrico »

Hi,

we are currently evaluating different physics engines. So far we have only looked at PhysX, which seems quite nice. We have found experiences from other people with ODE and PhysX, especially in this paper. Unfortunately, we have not found many opinions about Bullet Physics nor much documentation about possible flaws and problems.

So I am here and hoping somebody will share his experiences. And maybe somebody has a comparison with other physics engines? :)

Thank you very much, Enrico
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

Instead of reading comparisons, I would highly suggest to just try out Bullet physics library, and share your experiences / problems etc. The Bullet section of this forum exists to solver problems, and improve the library.

There are several happy Bullet Physics library users, and several big game companies are using it (full or partly) in Playstation 3, XBox 360, Wii, PC or Mac games, although unfortunately I can't name them in public right now.

ODE and Bullet are not really competing, they are both open source and collaborate nicely. Bullet collision detection can co-exist with ODE constraint solver. A benefit of open source is that you can take the parts you like, and leave the parts you don't.

Thanks a lot,
Erwin
Enrico

Post by Enrico »

Hi,
Erwin Coumans wrote:There are several happy Bullet Physics library users, and several big game companies are using it (full or partly) in Playstation 3, XBox 360, Wii, PC or Mac games, although unfortunately I can't name them in public right now.
This is one of the problems when argumenting with my boss to decide which physics library to use. For ODE I can name several successful games (Stalker, Call of Juarez, etc.), but there does not seem to be such a list for Bullet :cry:

I will go now and play around with Bullet Physics :) :D

Thanks, Enrico