Why is the constraint error scaled by the FPS?

Please don't post Bullet support questions here, use the above forums instead.
structinf

Why is the constraint error scaled by the FPS?

Post by structinf »

Literally, every physics engine I have seen scales the constraint error by the FPS (1.0 / dt).

Code: Select all

btScalar k = info->fps * info->erp;
info->m_constraintError[i * skip] = k * (pivotBInW[i] - pivotAInW[i]);

Code: Select all

dReal k = info->fps * erp;
info->c[0] = k*j->contact.geom.depth;
However, from what I understand, the constraint error should be directly proportional to the time step. So, instead of k = fps * erp, k = dt * erp.

What am I missing here?
RandyGaul

Re: Why is the constraint error scaled by the FPS?

Post by RandyGaul »

The bias term is a function of position and time. It is my understanding that the constraint error will decay over time if and only if your baumgarte term is as such: 0 < baumgarte < 2 / dt. The function oscillates, and as such will be over damped if baumgarte is less than 1 / dt.

You don't want your solution to converge with an oscillation, you want it to converge smoothly going straight towards the solution. As to why the bias isn't critically damped I imagine is because of the nature of an iterative solver: each constraint is solved in isolation and can affect the results of previously solved constraints.

As such I suppose it would be "safer" to over-damp your function in order to avoid the chance of oscillation. This is why you scale by the frequency of timestepping, and then go a little lower with the baumgarte term. This makes sense and explains, at least to me, why baumgarte converges with a horrid looking oscillation once error gets too large.

I say all of this with the disclaimer that I'm not totally sure if this is correct info, just my current understanding.
structinf

Re: Why is the constraint error scaled by the FPS?

Post by structinf »

That actually made sense. Thank you!