rigid impact zones in continuous cloth collision response

Please don't post Bullet support questions here, use the above forums instead.
chakovolvo

rigid impact zones in continuous cloth collision response

Post by chakovolvo »

hello, i'm developing a library for continuous cloth collision detection and response for my thesis , i have troubles with multiple collision response since solving the collisions (vertex-face, edge-edge) one per one doesn't guarantee convergence, there're several papers treating the problem, being the most advanced ones those of asynchronous contact mechanics, i didn't tried them still but i don't have too much time and according to the results they are very slow, i was going to use the rigid impact zones method introduced by provot as a fail safe for solving all collisions at the cost of realism
the method in short is: group collisions in impact zones that are treated like rigid bodies, merge the impact zones involved in collisions, the convergence is guaranteed because the impact zones will grow and merge until there's no collisions

the problem i found is the process of merging impact zones, i guess to merge two impact zones any collision between them should be fixed, and as the impact zones are treated like rigid bodies, any impulse will cause not only linear motion but also angular motion, so if i detect a collision between two elements of the two impact zones, solving that collision can cause new collisions between the impact zones, and again i have the problem of no guarantee of convergence, .., how i can handle this?, any suggestion is appreciated

https://graphics.stanford.edu/courses/c ... ements.pdf
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~lin/COMP768-S09/LEC/cloth.pdf
chakovolvo

Re: rigid impact zones in continuous cloth collision respons

Post by chakovolvo »

i just realized my error, the thing is that they create the impact zones before the collision actually occurs so there's no need to do a collision response between impact zones