Generic6DoFContstraintVehicle

Show what you made with Bullet Physics SDK: Games, Demos, Integrations with a graphics engine, modeler or any other application
senoradam

Generic6DoFContstraintVehicle

Post by senoradam »

Hi!

I'm building a robot simulation using Bullet Physics, and I need to use rigid bodies for the wheels to get enough physical realism (raycast can't deal with slipping and variable terrain realistically). I've attached 4 rigidbody wheels to my suspension base via 6DoF joints with only the wheel rotation axis free (all others locked). The suspension base is then attached to a chassis rigidbody via 4 6DoF joints with only vertical translation limited (all others locked) to simulate suspension springs. This all works fine, except when I drive my vehicle (by applying torque to the wheels) every so often one or other of the wheels appears to lock inexplicably leading to very bad driving behaviour. I tried lowering and raising the wheel/chassis mass ratio, and varying the wheel friction; I've searched my model for the source of this error and cannot find a reason, can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks very much!

Adam

edit: I saw a post which said that the only axis along which there can be free rotation (as in the case of the axle joints in my vehicle) is the *X-axis*, mine are rotating around the Z-axis. I will try switching, does that sound like it could be the root of the problem?
serengeor

Re: Generic6DoFContstraintVehicle

Post by serengeor »

This is not the right forum to ask questions.
Games, Demos or Movies using Bullet
Show what you made with Bullet Physics SDK: Games, Demos, Integrations with a graphics engine, modeler or any other application