Vertigo - a hardcore arcade game

Show what you made with Bullet Physics SDK: Games, Demos, Integrations with a graphics engine, modeler or any other application
amireh

Vertigo - a hardcore arcade game

Post by amireh »

Hey guys, I'm happy to announce the release of my first game ever! It's a small and simple game. (I made a similar post on Ogre3D forums here, so I copy / pasted for consistency)

Vertigo is an arcade game that is completely free, open-source and cross-platform. I built it using Ogre and BulletPhysics. Mainly, I used the Dynamics side of Bullet, as honestly the collision part got me very confused and I never got it working, so I ended up using simple AABB queries to detect my collision.

At the moment it's compiled only for Windows and OS X, but Linux binaries will be coming soon, hopefully this week, and a link to the code repo will be given once I clean it!

The gameplay in a nutshell
You are a probe which is set with 2 shields to protect from fire and ice drones, but only 1 shield is active at a time. You will engage zones, each of which might have a different game mode and different objectives, and you'll be briefed once you're in. You have to flip shields in time to protect yourself, and you can possibly move left and right to avoid some obstacles. It's a pure reflex game, a brain teaser :D

Gameplay trailer
The trailer shows all 4 game modes and 3 of the camera modes. And I made it HD, which took 3 hours to upload to YouTube using my laughable 2mbps Jordanian connection, so watch it in HD!!! :D
http://youtu.be/6x6BfZNGabc?hd=1

Screenies
You can see different states of the game in a couple of the zones below (you can click them for the hi-res shots).

Links
Try it out! You can find everything at www.vertigo-game.com.

I hope you find it fun, and I'd love to hear any kind of feedback!

----
Sidenote: there are things that are mystified to me about Bullet in general, mainly collision-detection schemes and controlling velocity. If anyone would be so kind as to help me out with answering a few questions, I'd be really grateful.
shomy2k11

Re: Vertigo - a hardcore arcade game

Post by shomy2k11 »

Hi,
your game looks awesome. What i do need however is a guide (bullet teacher/opengl to some degree). My first game Ultimate Breakout is giving me hell with softbody physics and bullet timestepping. I know my whoping 1GB ram turion64 single core laptop with shared video is not exactly a power-house but that is all i have and all i can aford as i am unemployed. Hoping to release my game on the iphone to make some money.

here is the link to a screenshot so far http://www.bulletphysics.org/Bullet/php ... =17&t=7416

If you would be so kind to offer help by whatever means you desire ..msn messenger, yahoo, skype or this forum i'd be most grateful.

Here as my issues

1. adding "#include btSoftBody.h" causes compiler errors "error: expected identifier before numeric constant line ..94"
2. i want to introduce lightning effects when blocks blow up any source code would be "GREATLY APPRECIATED"
3. simulation of wind blowing blocks all over the place (i have so much in mind but being a rookie it's mind boggling to soak up all info and produce good results)

I wait for your positive reply (cross fingers) :wink:
ademartoe

Post by ademartoe »

Hi, amireh
My congrats on your debut as a game developer! I liked the trailer and a bit later I'm going to play it.
Last edited by ademartoe on Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Shepherd

Post by Dr.Shepherd »

The youtube video says it is private, I can't watch it
amireh

Post by amireh »

The youtube video says it is private, I can't watch it
Thanks for the notice, I must have done that by mistake. It's fixed now!
Hi, amireh
My congrats on your debut as a game developer! I liked the trailer and a bit later I'm going to play it.
Thank you, I hope you enjoy it! The game is hardly finished though, I have many features in mind that I'll be working on later this year and during the next one hopefully.

Cheers and thanks for the awesome library.
Dr.Shepherd

Post by Dr.Shepherd »

May I ask, as to the texture on the tube, do you use sequential texture or just one texture, then the make transformations to the tube body?

Cheers.
amireh

Post by amireh »

Dr.Shepherd wrote:May I ask, as to the texture on the tube, do you use sequential texture or just one texture, then the make transformations to the tube body?
Some of the tubes' materials are made of multi-pass techniques, with different blending techniques, and sometimes different textures in every pass. Also, most of the textures are always rotating around a certain axis.

Since I'm using Ogre, you can check out their manual section on Materials.
Dr.Shepherd

Post by Dr.Shepherd »

Great ! Thank you very much !
Because I only used bullet and never touched the Orge stuff, so I am not quite familiar with that. Keep knowing more about it !
GameOn

Post by GameOn »

So you just created you first game ever, it looks awesome, I believe it's to play (couldn't play it atm, it crash so il update my mac's OS to the latest and get back to you), and it is cross platform.

And you made it open source for people who try to do what you successfully did (like me).

You sir are my hero.

Thanks you a lot.