Mining vehicle safety simulator, powered by Bullet

Show what you made with Bullet Physics SDK: Games, Demos, Integrations with a graphics engine, modeler or any other application
dakffyd

Mining vehicle safety simulator, powered by Bullet

Post by dakffyd »

Hi all,

My company, RealSpace, has recently produced a simulation for Teck, to help train their vehicle operators on safety hazards. We used Bullet to power our vehicles and collisions.

The vehicle that operators are training on is a rubber-tired bulldozer: a 50,000 kg vehicle with fixed axis wheels and a two-part hinged chassis. We implemented it using two raycast vehicles, and a hinge constraint, and although we had to up the maximum suspension forces a little, Bullet was able to handle it extremely well.

You can read more, or see a video of the vehicle in action here.

I'd also like to thank everyone on the forums here who has answered my questions in the last year or so!
dumbo2007

Re: Mining vehicle safety simulator, powered by Bullet

Post by dumbo2007 »

Awesome work!. I am learning vehicle simulation with Bullet too and its great to know that it can simulate non standard vehicles and large masses. Did you need to make changes in the source code for Bullet or were you able to directly use the stable release ?
dakffyd

Re: Mining vehicle safety simulator, powered by Bullet

Post by dakffyd »

As I mentioned, we upped the (hardcoded) maximum suspension force for the raycast vehicle, but aside from that the code is stock.