SuperTuxKart 0.7

Show what you made with Bullet Physics SDK: Games, Demos, Integrations with a graphics engine, modeler or any other application
hiker

SuperTuxKart 0.7

Post by hiker »

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that we have just release SuperTuxKart 0.7 - the fun kart racing game for Linux, Windows and Macs. We are still using the rather old bullet 2.68, but have changed the graphics engine from plib to irrlicht:
This new release features:
  • animations for karts and tracks,
  • a new GUI
  • new and improved tracks, karts, and items
  • many many bugfixes
More screenshots and details can be found on our home page http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net, and downloads on our download page.

Updating to a recent bullet version, and more improvements on the kart physics are on our todo list :)

I hope you will enjoy this game!

Cheers,
Joerg
Flix

Re: SuperTuxKart 0.7

Post by Flix »

hiker wrote:we have just release SuperTuxKart 0.7
I believe I've installed the old version on my Ubuntu partition through the "Software Center" application some time ago (BTW: nice game! With a lot of different tracks!).

To get the updated version, do I have to reinstall it, or it will get automatically updated through a system update ? (Basically I don't know how the "Software Center" works...)
hiker

Re: SuperTuxKart 0.7

Post by hiker »

Hi,
I believe I've installed the old version on my Ubuntu partition through the "Software Center" application some time ago (BTW: nice game! With a lot of different tracks!).

To get the updated version, do I have to reinstall it, or it will get automatically updated through a system update ? (Basically I don't know how the "Software Center" works...)
Sorry, I don't know that. We don't provide linux binaries or packages, since STK is usually very quickly added to repositories by most distributions anyway. Also I am not sure how Ubunutu actually works, but afaik there is a 'ppa' out (which is a kind of user supplied package). If you need additional information, best post on our forum, there are people using Ubuntu there.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Re: SuperTuxKart 0.7.1

Post by hiker »

Hi,

just another quick update: we have just released SuperTuxKart 0.7.1, which also included an update from bullet 2.68 to 2.77 (gee, now we have to update to 2.78 - we are too slow).
ChangeLog:
  • * Update to bullet 2.77
    * Particle (smoke, splash, fire) and weather effects
    * New Fort Magma by Samuncle, new Shiny Suburbs track by Horace
    * New Beagle kart by wolterh
    * Added internet news
    * Support for live language switch
    * Added optional minimal race UI
    * Temporary invincibility after being hit
    * Added support for full-screen anti-aliasing
    * Basic level-of-detail (LOD) support
and a lot more.

The update experience might be interesting for other people, so some details here: we ran into the problems with Visual Studio not providing properly aligned std::vector, see this thread for details. Even after replacing std::vector with btAlignedObjectArray we had odd crashes due to corrupted heap. At the end (since bullet is not a major performance bottleneck) we decided to disable SSE completely, and the game is then running fine. The only other issue we had was related to the damping method: search for USE_OLD_DAMPING_METHOD in btRigidBody.cpp: it turns out that we had incorrect damping values defined, which didn't matter for the old method, but with the new method being the default, our karts didn't steer anymore. Otherwise we had no problems in updating to bullet. As always: thanks a lot for providing and maintaining bullet!

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Re: SuperTuxKart 0.7.1

Post by hiker »

Hi all,

we have just released the version 0.7.3 of SuperTuxKart:
800px-0_7_2_golf.jpg
800px-0_7_2_golf.jpg (148.87 KiB) Viewed 10099 times
Most important improvements:
  • New Minigolf track (don't let its childish look trick you, it is a very challenging track :) )
  • New Zen Garden track
  • New Subsea track
  • New Island battle arena
  • New Suzanne kart
  • New weapons 'Swatter' and 'Rubber Ball'
  • Improved bubble gum
  • Added Thunderbird as race referee
  • 3 Strikes Battles now displays lives as spare tires
  • See progression during Grand Prix
  • Better placement of rescued karts
  • New graphical effects
  • Improve physics for tall karts (e.g. Adiumy)
  • Improved kart control at high speeds
  • Lots of bug fixes
  • Transition track-making to blender 2.5/2.6
This version is still running with bullet 2.77, but on trunk we have already updated to 2.79. We plan to improve the physics (collision, better skidding) next, so except a few questions here from me ;)

We hope you enjoy the game, and as always: feedback is welcome.

Cheers,
Joerg