Fake explosion with Bullet Physics, using a 2D constraint

Show what you made with Bullet Physics SDK: Games, Demos, Integrations with a graphics engine, modeler or any other application
astrofra

Fake explosion with Bullet Physics, using a 2D constraint

Post by astrofra »

Hi people.

I recently I found an interesting side effect that occurs with the Bullet engine, because of the ''2 objects cannot occupy the same space'' rule. What I did here is to build a 2D wall, made of simple collision boxes. Then, once the wall is stabilized (and the physic asleep) I force a larger box shape to appear INSIDE the wall.

The result is, visually, quite close to an explosion.

Here's a video capture (Thanks to Danko for the gorgeous music, and to GameStart for the 3D engine & bullet integration).

A possible next step would be to implement a very basic version of Scorched Tanks using this funny principle.
astrofra

Re: Fake explosion with Bullet Physics, using a 2D constrain

Post by astrofra »

chrisf28000

Post by chrisf28000 »

very interesting!!!
because i have the idea to simulate a rocket and the gas would be an object that suddenly appears and push the rocket. I didn't test it yet but thanks to you, i think it will work.

I have made a satellite motion simulation game (chrisf28000 post 2011/01/22)
My next game will send a rocket into orbit.
I have a nerd question: i don't know how to record my game to make a video. How did you do with yours?

Merci d'avance.
Bonne continuation.
lulzfish

Post by lulzfish »

I think for a rocket you would be better off just applying a force or an impulse to the rocket,that would be easier to control and require less physics effort than creating an object for the gas.