FreeFallingBlocks AKA Physics based Tetris.

Show what you made with Bullet Physics SDK: Games, Demos, Integrations with a graphics engine, modeler or any other application
Jasonrun

FreeFallingBlocks AKA Physics based Tetris.

Post by Jasonrun »

Hello,

As part of my learning Bullet I'm developing a physics based Tetris like game. My biggest question right now is, does it run on your PC and how well? What framerates do you get and does the movement seem smooth or choppy or completely crazy on your system? Right now I just have a windows based build, though I will probably do some Mac and Linux builds once I get further along.

I'm pretty much done with the game logic and physics parts barring any issues that come up, so I will mostly be working on more advanced OpenGL based effects to enhance the game from now on. It will likely look quite a bit different by the time I'm done.

-Jason
Attachments
FreeFallingBlocks0.2.zip
Updated version, does not require OpenAL
(824.46 KiB) Downloaded 652 times
Last edited by Jasonrun on Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasonrun

Re: FreeFallingBlocks AKA Physics based Tetris.

Post by Jasonrun »

*OUTDATED
Sorry to anyone that tried this and had gotten an error message about OpenAL32.dll missing, I thought having that file with the app would work, but apparently not. If you want to install OpenAL the installation file is attached, or you can get it directly from creative labs at http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/ ... Items.aspx
I'm going to probably rewrite this with SDL audio libraries since I don't want to require an installation.

I've been away from home developing this on my laptop. I just got to try it out on my main PC which is how I discovered that issue. Also apparently my app is requesting vsync, so I'll have to look into that, it didn't sync on my laptop with the intel 4500 onboard video, but on my pc with a geforce 9800gtx+ it was syncing to 60 fps even though the settings were to allow the app to choose. I changed it to force no sync and I got between 4000 and 5000 fps... I'm happy to say it behaved properly at that ridiculous frame rate. Unfortunately it wasn't very good at 60. It looked fine and smooth, but the forces you apply to manipulate the pieces weren't getting applied often enough, so it looks like I need to change it to apply more force, but less frequently.
Attachments
oalinst.zip
OpenAL installer from creative labs
(576.6 KiB) Downloaded 440 times
Last edited by Jasonrun on Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasonrun

Re: FreeFallingBlocks AKA Physics based Tetris.

Post by Jasonrun »

I've updated the zip file on the first post to be the latest version. The sound now uses SDL so the included DLLs are all that's needed. I've made some other improvements as well such as much better framerate independence and a simple particle system utilizing a raycast for a basic collision model.

Please let me know what you think so far!
-Jason