BallMeR at UIST 2009

Show what you made with Bullet Physics SDK: Games, Demos, Integrations with a graphics engine, modeler or any other application
bounce

BallMeR at UIST 2009

Post by bounce »

Hi everybody,

Microsoft Research has developed a pressure-sensitive keyboard. Beside the conventional keystroke events it sends out the pressure with which each key is hit. In a contest at the international conference on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST 2009), they asked the community to develop applications for that keyboard that are either creative, useful, or well implemented.

We participated with BallMeR, a soccer variant that is played with two players at one keyboard. The keyboard is spatial mapped to the playing field. If a user hits a key, a hill appears at the corresponding position in the field. If the key is hit harder, the hill grows larger and creates a higher impulse. The goal is to kick the ball into the opponent's goal by deforming the ground.

The playing field is a soft body and all other elements, i.e., the wall and the balls, are rigid bodys. Graphics are done using OpenGL. The app is mostly written in Objective-C in combination with Cocoa for Mac OS 10.6. It took a lot of time to tweak the masses and forces in the game :)

We won the 2nd price in the category "Best implementation". Thanks to the Bullet community for providing such a nice engine.

Best regards,

Malte
winspear

Re: BallMeR at UIST 2009

Post by winspear »

Did anyone see that they were using a MAC to demo the keyboard?
Thats funny. :mrgreen:
lulzfish

Re: BallMeR at UIST 2009

Post by lulzfish »

That also confused me, but I see it was a third-party, not Microsoft.
Also, MAC is some kind of networking term, you are thinking of Macintosh.