Physics of bowling

Physics APIs, Physics file formats, Maya, Max, XSI, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Blender, thinkingParticles™ and other simulation tools, exporters and importers
enigmagame

Physics of bowling

Post by enigmagame »

Hi guys, I'm working on a simple bowling game, using Ogre as rendering engine and Bullet as physics engine.
I'm at the point to tune all the physical parameters, but how? Where I can find these?
For example:
- Ball friction.
- Ball restitution.
- Ball angular damping.
- Ball linear damping.
- Ball, any other parameters.
- Pins parameters.
- Lane friction.
- Lane restitution.
Thanks.
justin

Re: Physics of bowling

Post by justin »

I can understand friction param. but as to those dampings... i have to shrug my shoulders..
xristos

Post by xristos »

Hi,

I'm guessing that you have btRigidbodies created for the balls, pins and the lane?

Check out the btRigidBody::btRigidBodyConstructionInfo structure used in the btRigidBody constructor in...

.\bullet-2.78\bullet-2.78\src\BulletDynamics\Dynamics\btRigidBody.h

cg
xristos

Post by xristos »

Ball restitution : bounciness of the ball

Ball angular damping : if the ball is spinning while flying in the air, how fast do you want it to slow its spin down over time? range is 0.0 to 1.0 where 0 means it will spin for ever, 1 it wont spin at all.

Ball linear damping : think of it as wind resistance. range is 0.0 to 1.0 where 0 means it will move for ever ( no wind resistance), 1 it wont move at all (full wind resistance)